Though his appearance is greatly shielded by the hooded ornament that he wears, Balthasar has the appearance of a middle-aged male. Beneath the garments, Balthasar wears dark robes; from the ornament dangles a mint-green veil that is parted, giving one the view of Shemihaza's mouth, only.
Training Camp arc
Balthasar and the rest of the Grigori act as overseers for Mephisto's trial; he then listens silently as Mephisto asks him and the other Grigori to make a wager with him about how Rin will turn out: savior of Assiah or Demon King of Gehenna. However, after listening to Rin's outburst and Mephisto's claim, Balthasar and the other Grigori prevent Arthur from executing the boy and allow him to live under the condition that he pass the Exorcist Qualification Exam in six months time, among many others.
True Cross Academy Festival arc
Balthasar and the other Grigori are later present during Arthur and Lightning's account of what happened in Yemen, where they learn of the Demon Eater and the problems they could potentially bring up in the world. Balthasar then, upon Mephisto bringing it up amidst the chaos of information, reduces Rin's execution to a suspension.
Balthasar and his two other compatriots are later visited by Lucifer's Seraphim and hear the words he has to speak. However, the Seraphim at his location explodes, but he and the other Grigori members are saved by Arthur.
Blue Night Investigation arc
While Lightning and Ryuji travel to visit Azazel, Lightning explains that Shemihaza is one of two Emperors, called the Sol, that helped humans fight demons. Shemihaza is the Emperor of Creation, and he worked together with Armumahel, the Emperor of Emptiness, and Azazel, a Baal from Gehenna. When their bodies deteriorated, the three chose not to seek new ones, and instead, they fell into a natural, crystallized state. Shemihaza's Nephilim represent him physically within the Grigori, the most recent being Balthasar.
Later, Balthasar is seen with other members of the Grigori agency when Mephisto and Rin go back in time to a moment prior to the Blue Night taking place at Section 13 . They are there to observe the effects of Drac's Elixir on Lucifer's deteriorating body.
- In the anime, he was given the name Balthasar, as he had not yet been given a name in the manga at the time.
- Shemihaza is another spelling for Samyaza, the name of a fallen angel in apocryphal texts. The name itself means "the name has seen" or "he sees the name".
- In the manga, Shemihaza's name is not officially revealed until Chapter 87, along with his alias as the Emperor of Creation.
- ↑ Ao no Exorcist Manga: Chapter 87, Page 16
- ↑ Ao no Exorcist Manga: Chapter 14, Page 29
- ↑ Ao no Exorcist Anime: Gamble
- ↑ Ao no Exorcist Manga: Chapter 14, Pages 29-39
- ↑ Ao no Exorcist Manga: Chapter 38, Pages 26-30
- ↑ Ao no Exorcist Manga: Chapter 49, Page 13
- ↑ Ao no Exorcist Manga: Chapter 49, Page 29
- ↑ Ao no Exorcist Manga: Chapter 66, Page 5
- ↑ Ao no Exorcist Manga: Chapter 87, Pages 15-16
- ↑ Ao no Exorcist Manga: Chapter 102, Page 4